Thursday, April 2, 2020

Antonia takes on the April double page sketch!

Hi everyone, it’s Antonia here with a quick blog post to talk about sketches.

This month’s double page sketch is one that I made for the SID blog. I wanted to show you a number of ways I used this sketch to encourage you to allow sketches to inspire your creativity, rather than limit it.
The first layout is the one the sketch was based on. Accordingly, the two are very similar, practically identical.
The second layout is a double layout in one of my ‘days out’ albums. The layout follows the sketch closely with the background papers and the positions of the embellishment clusters, but there is a marked difference here with the photos. On the left side, the single large photo is replaced with a collage of smaller photos. On the right, the two small photos stacked in a column are replaced by three photos arranged in a block.


The third photo is the least faithful interpretation of the sketch. The sketch here is flipped, by the way. These are two single layouts, but they both form parts of the same story. The main inspiration here from the sketch is how the photos are arranged on the pages – even though they are quite large photos, they allow the viewer to see the beautiful background paper. Even though the two layouts have completely different papers for the background, there is some cohesion achieved by using the same papers for layering and matting on both sides. There is no large title on these pages, instead more journaling was introduced – these changes were made to suit the purpose of the scrapbooker: to tell a story with words, as well as with photos.


The fourth photo goes back to follow the sketch a bit more closely: the placement of the background papers, the embellishment clusters, the large title and the journaling. The main difference here is the number of photos used on the right-hand side.


The last photo is a little challenge I set to myself. Why not use a double sketch for a single layout? As I only wanted to use two photos for this layout, I decided to just use one half of the sketch. I wanted layout 4 and 5 to look very similar, as they tell the same story, but for different people and in different albums. So, I used the same sketch, the same papers and similar embellishments for these layouts.

I love sketches, because I find them so very orientating. They come very handy when I have too many papers and embellishments to choose from, and my brain becomes incapable of making too many decisions… I am quite a stick-to-the-rules sort of person, so it took me ages to allow my creativity to guide my layouts, instead of making a perfect copy of a sketch. But now that I am able to allow my mood to take me to whichever direction it fancies, I would like to encourage you to embrace your creativity and use those sketches to suit your purposes!

Thanks for stopping by the SID blog today! You can see me talk a bit more about sketches and layouts in my process video HERE.

Don’t forget to keep popping back for loads more inspirations from our lovely and talented design team throughout the month! Happy scrapping, Antonia.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by to visit us at Stick it Down! We love having you.